Kindergarten students must be 5 years of age by August 1 to be able to enroll.
Kindergarten registration at MSD of Steuben County takes place both online and in person. There are multiple steps.
- March 1-15 Complete the pre-registration basic information at our pre-registration portal (click here)
- March 17 Complete required paper forms and bring the following documents to the Central Gym between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM 1) your child's birth certificate 2)proof of residency (utility bill, lease, etc) 3)immunization record
- Between April and May, you will receive notice at the email address you have provided to us of the school your child will attend for kindergarten and instructions on how to complete the required online registration forms
- Over the summer your child will be scheduled for kindergarten screening. While your child is with a teacher being tested, you can review or complete your online registration forms. The school secretary can assist you in using one of the school’s Chromebooks and get you signed up for the Remind app (this is how your school will often send you important messages)
- August 13 Your child starts Kindergarten!
The MSD of Steuben County kindergarten screening is a locally-developed assessment that students will take over the summer before they begin kindergarten. Your child’s school will contact you to schedule a time over the summer to bring your child to the school to meet with a kindergarten teacher and complete the kindergarten screening. The screening typically takes 30-45 minutes.
The screening is designed to assess students’ foundational learning skills. The scores on the assessment are not a “percentage” or nationally “normed.” Rather, the scores provide information regarding students’ early literacy, conceptual, and numeracy skills. Each section of the screening contains a set of skills and a total number of points possible. Your child’s score is a compilation of the points. It is not expected that students receive every point in every section—the screening is not intended to be used in this way. Instead, it provides a general awareness of your child’s kindergarten readiness and areas you may reinforce at home. The screening also lets the teacher know where your child is starting so that we can make sure the learning for your child is “just right” from the first day of school.
To ensure that your child is ready and prepared for kindergarten, please click on the links below for more information about skills necessary for success in kindergarten and activities you can do with your child to ensure a successful start to your child’s educational journey.
- Kindergarten Readiness Skills
- IDOE Kindergarten Readiness - Questions for Parents
- IDOE Kindergarten - Reading Readiness Questions
- IDOE Kindergarten - Mathematics Readiness Questions
- Parent Activities: Fine Motor
- Parent Activities: Emergent Math
- Parent Activities: Letters and Sounds
- Parent Activities: Print Concepts
- Parent Activities: Sight Words